Saturday, September 10, 2016

Offering Alms to Beggars

One day, I was traveling in a friend's car. I noticed something unusual, in the empty space below the driver's seat, there was a pack of around 20 something Parle-G biscuits. I thought that he might have kept them as a something to eat for long drives . But I asked him anyway. His reply was a simple and elegant solution to the problem we face many times. 


He told me that, whenever a beggar comes to him, he doesn't like to offer money because it's like practically encouraging them to not do any work and keep begging (and I'm sure every practical guy would think in the same way). And we feel really bad for their condition, they might be really in some condition due which they have to beg. But nobody can know for sure. He offers them these biscuits, problem solved! You don't need to be cold-hearted, or worse promote begging. 


By looking at this Quora Answer, I think many people do it. But from my personal experience, most people in my contact don't know this. They either feel too sympathetic and offer money, or they just try to ignore them (and if you've faced some situation, you know how awkward it gets). 

And this something that must be shared. Over and out! 


No comments:

Post a Comment